Why learn about Idaho forests?
We depend on our forests in Idaho for so much!
Forests filter the water we drink and the air we breathe. They provide homes for diverse animal and plant species and store atmospheric carbon. Our forests supply renewable resources for products we use every day plus jobs that support families and our communities. They provide an amazing playground where we can be together with friends and family or in reflective solitude.
Because we depend so profoundly on our forests, being knowledgeable about them is crucial for all Idahoans. We need to understand not only how they work, but also how we are connected to them ecologically, economically and socially.
Our learning materials are divided into grade levels:
- What is a forest?
- Who lives in forests?
- How do forests help people?
- What can we do to help forests?
- What do forest organisms need to survive?
- How are forests and their inhabitants adapted to the Idaho climate and landscape?
- In what ways are forests important to Idaho’s environment, economy and people?
- What social, economic and environmental benefits do forests provide?
- How do human activities affect forests?
- What can we do to protect Idaho forests?
- What factors contribute to the biodiversity of Idaho forests?
- How do people manage forests to achieve desired forest outcomes and ensure the sustainability of our forests?
- What role do governments, private companies and individuals play in managing Idaho’s forests?
- What can individuals do to help sustain forests?
Learners who are literate about forests are able to:
Understand the concepts related to the forests of Idaho
Appreciate the importance of forests in our lives and in Idaho
Communicate about forests in a meaningful way to others
|Make informed and responsible decisions about the future of Idaho’s forests|
Explore the options on the Pages in This Topic to find grade level appropriate professional development, links and downloadable materials that will help you learn and teach about the natural environment.
|FIND GRADE LEVEL WORKSHOPS||FIND GRADE LEVEL WEBSITE LINKS||FIND GRADE LEVEL DOWNLOADABLE MATERIALS|